Page 7 of 12 « First<56789>Last »
Topic Options
#9089 - 12/27/02 09:59 AM Re: GA has PSA Heads Spooked [Re: 77collector]
downgoesfrazier
I am gonna miss that car.

Loc: Summer of '77

Kurt,

Your post should win some kind of award for sheer energy and length. I was the subject matter and didn't even bother to read it all. A couple of rebuttals to your aimless rants...

Just because you lack the factual information needed to form an understanding of my behavior does not make me schizophrenic. Further, how much I bid on a card, and WHY I choose to bid it should be of no concern to you whatsoever. What SHOULD be of interest to you is that you take your medication in a timely manner and remember that people love you.

#9090 - 12/27/02 10:11 AM Re: GA has PSA Heads Spooked [Re: downgoesfrazier]
77collector
Learning the Ropes

Loc: The SGC boards

77s,

Yet again look in the mirror:

"Further, how much I bid on a card, and WHY I choose to bid it should be of no concern to you whatsoever."

Again, you emailed me big guy.

My meds are just fine I think.

We can drop this now I hope, correct?

#9091 - 12/27/02 11:15 AM Re: GA has PSA Heads Spooked [Re: 77collector]
stanthemanfan
If I just sell the car, I can up my bid...

I hope SGC sets up another category - "Not vintage and not modern" and throws the 1977 Topps set into it so 77's and 77collector can pound it out in private. I honestly do not believe a mid-70's set is considered vintage. The process of collecting cards from the 1950's is the absolute polar opposite of buying cards printed in the '70's.

I know everyone is going to jump on me for this one - but I would much rather have separate running dialogue with people collecting 1940/50/60's cards than having to read about some cats bickering about Ebay winning bid strategies in the hopes of finding something relevant to vintage card collecting. If someone wants to bid a grand on a Chris Chambliss SGC 96 '77 Topps - God bless them. Put it on the Registry and let everyone know how much you paid and how much happiness the win brought to you.

About PSA vs. SGC

I submitted 1 message on the PSA board about 2.5 years ago and got beat about the head and shoulders. Card collecting is just that - buying cards not holders. This is what I said then and I'll repeat it one more time.
I'm more than happy to let people get biased on the brand of plastic and steal the cards from under their noses. Great cards exist in PSA, SGC, GAI, PRO, SCD, etc. - it takes a collector to filter thru the garbage and find the gems.

Who cares about the stock price - if you're watching Superior's stock price and allowing that to sway your purchase - then call yourself a plastic card storage holder collector. PSA can fall off into the Pacific for all I care - it has absolutely no affect on the card incapsulated in its holder. If PSA falls apart and you have cards in their holders - you crossover to whoever is doing 3rd party grading at the time. That's all there is too it.

#9092 - 12/27/02 11:34 AM Re: GA has PSA Heads Spooked [Re: stanthemanfan]
srs1a
Old, dense-headed hammers are cool. Best nail pounders.

Loc: NY

I think STMF makes some very good points -- this is a message board about card collecting, not stock prices -- and I am guilty. No more.

And I agree on his comments about there being gems out there for the careful collector to find -- and they can exist in many different holders, However, I draw the line at PRO!

Scott

#9093 - 12/27/02 11:47 AM Re: GA has PSA Heads Spooked [Re: stanthemanfan]
aconte
Bid more or post more... tough one...

Loc: On The Beach....where else!

Stan,

You made some good points. A comment on the Psa vs Sgc:

For me, I've always thought of collecting cards as fun. I've always liked
to own nice cards. I was drawn to the grading of cards for many reasons.
One is that high end cards are found slabbed. The other reason I like
the registry is because I've always enjoyed putting sets together. The
registry helps this happen for me. I love looking at all the sets. And if
I like it... it's fun... and for me that's all I need.

As far as why I like one grading company over another I have my
reasons. I use Sgc and Psa. That's it. And I'm trying to do sets in
certain holders.

But your comments are valid. And so are mine. I collect for fun. #1.

aconte

#9094 - 12/27/02 11:52 AM Re: GA has PSA Heads Spooked [Re: aconte]
aconte
Bid more or post more... tough one...

Loc: On The Beach....where else!

Stan,

After re-reading your post I do disagree with one comment.

"Great cards exist in Pro slabs."

Not likely.

aconte

#9095 - 12/27/02 12:04 PM Re: GA has PSA Heads Spooked [Re: srs1a]
stanthemanfan

Scott,

I know you're an experienced collector and I always appreciate your opinions - I'm glad to hear someone can find a comfortable position with some of my opinions. I think there is a downside to collecting graded cards - the inherent "tastes great" - "less filling" argument.

It would be nice for someone to make a decree that great cards exist in all different holders and that the true price of cards is based on what people are willing to pay for them. This applies to bottles of beer, roofing shingles, graded cards, etc.

I threw PRO into my list just because I bought a '49 Bowman Rizzuto that is gorgeous. I paid a touch over $100 for it - the last 2 minutes of the Ebay auction had people upping the ante over other bids by a $1. The only reason this happened was the fact that the card was in a PRO holder. The next week - a dingy looking PSA Rizzuto went for $600+.

Talking about tastes great - I've got a 1964 Bobby Shantz SGC88 that I'm willing to trade for a 6-pack of Brooklyn Brewery's finest. Let me know

#9096 - 12/27/02 12:32 PM Re: GA has PSA Heads Spooked [Re: aconte]
stanthemanfan

Aconte,

I know how you feel about PRO - 1 of 2 things is going to happen with my recent Ebay purchase - I'm either going to be sitting on a beautiful card I got for a song and a dance in an SGC crossed-over holder or a real nice example of what the latest HP/Canon printer capabilities are - a counterfeit in other words. I'll know in a month as this card and a few other non-SGC's are going out for crossover.

I never search out PRO's as my first, second or third choice. This was just too nice to pass up on.

I will let everyone know the crossover result.

thanks

#9097 - 12/27/02 02:35 PM Re: GA has PSA Heads Spooked [Re: stanthemanfan]
SGCRULES
Learning the Ropes

Loc: Little Rock, Arkansas

My opinion on this PSA vs SGC vs BGS is simple.

PSA: I submit a LOT of cards to PSA for the simple reason RESALE VALUE. Say what you want but until something changes PSA cards still command a premium.

BGS: A total conflict of interest. Now they have openly admitted they grade older cards to a less standard (BVG). They grade to a ridiculous standards and I really think they kill cards on the surface grade unless you are a big time spender with them. I don't remember the last time I actually had someone answer their customer service number.

SGC: I use SGC alot for my personal collection ( cards I plan to keep for years) simply because I love the holders and I am doing a 1976 Baseball set in SGC. If the resale prices ever get up to the level of PSA they will have more my business.

As far as Joe Orlando at PSA goes, he is wonderful and has improved customer service and turnarounds. I talked with him on the phone today (he returned my call within 30 minutes) about some cards and future specials ETC.... always a positive in comparison to Rocchi who I think caters to the big spenders.

I hear all these claims of overgraded PSA cards and I really wonder????? I submit 300-500 cards EVERY month to PSA and I can honestly say I have never gotten a card back that I feel was overgraded, but I do see some I think are undergraded.

Bottom line is use the company you like and feel comfortable with.

Now I am ready to be bashed so please post comments.

Billy

#9098 - 12/27/02 02:37 PM Re: GA has PSA Heads Spooked [Re: stanthemanfan]
SGCRULES
Learning the Ropes

Loc: Little Rock, Arkansas

I threw PRO into my list just because I bought a '49 Bowman Rizzuto that is gorgeous. I paid a touch over $100 for it - the last 2 minutes of the Ebay auction had people upping the ante over other bids by a $1.

Stan, I would love to see a scan of this card. I bet there is a good chance the card has been trimmed.

Page 7 of 12 « First<56789>Last »

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 9 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
defghi104200, jklmno253672, hijklm176309, defghi521014, klmnop450123
1967 Registered Users

Generated in 0.02 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.