Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#93458 - 04/04/03 02:37 PM Crossing over tobacco cards from PSA
bcornell
Learning the Ropes

For anyone who shares my interest in the generally unloved T207 set...

I've crossed a bunch of T207's over from PSA to SGC in the past year, most of them in a recent submission. The results have been pretty uniform, i.e., at least a single grade deduction. Since I'm trying to stick to SGC cards, I can't complain too loudly. It does appear to me that the grading of this issue, at least, has gotten stricter since the departure of Derek Grady.

Below are links to scans of the SGC cards and notes on their previous grades.

Bresnahan PSA 6 to SGC 70. Fairly graded by SGC; this card shows why intermediate grades like EX+ are needed.

Bender PSA 5 to SGC 50 (recently graded). Down a grade.

Becker PSA 5 to SGC 50 (recently graded). Down a grade.

Erwin PSA 5 to SGC 60 (recently graded). Straight crossover.

Golden PSA 6 to SGC 60. Fairly graded - should not have had its original EX-MT grade because of corner wear.

Hooper PSA 7 (o/c) to SGC 70. I had hoped for an SGC 80. Certainly not deserving of PSA's o/c qualifier, given the common appearance with other T207's.

Dots Miller PSA 5 to SGC 50 (recently graded). Down a grade.

Stanage PSA 5 to SGC 80. The only T207 I've submitted that did better with SGC; they may have been a bit generous with this one.

Tooley PSA 5 to SGC 50 (recently graded). Down a grade.

Warhop PSA 6 to SGC 60 (recently graded). Down a grade.

Wingo PSA 5 to SGC 60 (recently graded). Straight crossover.

Edited by bcornell (04/05/03 04:48 PM)

#93459 - 04/04/03 02:42 PM Re: Crossing over tobacco cards from PSA [Re: bcornell]
vayank
The Amazing Card-Man

Loc: Alexandria, Va

Great post...Did you buy the psa's with intention of crossing?

#93460 - 04/04/03 03:09 PM Re: Crossing over tobacco cards from PSA [Re: vayank]
bcornell
Learning the Ropes

Thanks, Matt. No, I didn't buy any of them with the intention of crossing them over (they all came through eBay, for what that's worth). I'm sure I cost myself some hypothetical money by breaking them out of PSA holders and submitting them to SGC, but I got to a level of confidence with SGC where I wanted all of my cards in their holders. It isn't a great feeling to have a card knocked down a peg, but my consolation is that the 75 SGC T207's I have are remarkably consistent in their grades.

This is one of the few (maybe the only) T card sets where SGC has graded more than PSA, but I've noticed a decided upswing lately in the prices for other SGC-graded T cards. I used to pick off SGC T205's for roughly 20% less than PSA copies, but that heyday appears to be over. Fine by me, since I'd like to get my PSA T205's crossed over eventually, as well...

#93461 - 04/04/03 04:09 PM Re: Crossing over tobacco cards from PSA [Re: bcornell]
srs1a
Old, dense-headed hammers are cool. Best nail pounders.

Loc: NY

Hello bcornell,

Sorry to hear that your results weren't better, but glad to hear that you feel that your set, in total, is consistently graded.

I crossed over quite a few much more modern cards ('68's) and faired a little better, but also took some lumps. I also did a test (68's also) before and after Derek left -- my impression was that the standards really didn't change. Perhaps, the gentlemen that graded my material were the same before and after Derek left. I expect that the same wasn't true in your test.

Scott

#93462 - 04/04/03 07:34 PM Re: Crossing over tobacco cards from PSA [Re: bcornell]
aconte
Bid more or post more... tough one...

Loc: On The Beach....where else!

bcornell,

Thanks for the review of your crossovers. I'm always curious how other
sets continue to crossover. Like srs1a, I've had consistent results
before and after Derek left Sgc. These were for mostly 1955 red man's.

By the way your cards are really nice. I love the color on the T207's.
I wish I had as much money as some of the big boys so I could
diversify my collection. But it is nice to look at scans of some of the
old cards.

Good luck with your T207 set. I've read some of your posts on another
forum. I realize how much effort you have put in your collection. It is
appreciated by this fellow collector.

aconte

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  EARLSWORLD 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 6 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
jklmno253672, hijklm176309, defghi521014, klmnop450123, abcdef863349
1966 Registered Users

Generated in 0.017 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.