Folks,

I do not much know about coin and comics collecting. What little I do know comes from the CGC and NGC boards. I am curious about the relative acceptance of restored collectibles.

I do know the that trimming, re-building corners, bleaching, resoritng colors etc. is absolutely not accepted in the card world. Reputations and fortunes can be lost due to engaging in these tactics.

However, restoration of coins and comics is not only accepted, but it is institutionalized. It does not bring a stigma and it is not forbidden. In fact, it is nearly a science.

1) What in the history of the three genres accounts for the differing standards of restoration?

2) What has made restoration taboo in card collecting, but accepted and regulated in coins and comics?

3) Human nature being what it is, some folks will always engage in what is illicit restoration of cards. The devil's advocate in me asks: Why not have it be regulated and institutionlized like the coin and comic world?

Thoughts?